O, how I love K-town
There is so much in K-town that I love. It has so much potential to continue to challenge me as a person, both physically, spiritually, and emotionally. I've gotten to know so many people through Navigators, Queen's, the community at large, Bethel... - young and old- who encourage me, listen to me, share experiences with me, mentor and disciple me, help me realize my dreams (that I even HAD dreams). I can say without a doubt that I have grown and moved forward towards God as a person since the day I set foot in this beautiful city. My time here has not been wasted.
It's also a city that is smaller and slower-paced than T.O., not that I have anything against the big city that I was born and raised in. Kingston just seems to bring out (most of) the best in me, and it has captured my heart...or maybe I'm just trying to run away from the parents. :P But I feel that if I don't follow my heart this time around, I'll really regret it. Not following my heart, or maybe not finding out what my heart wanted exactly, has already caused me 6 years of grief and anxiety, confusion and self-doubt.
Strangely enough, I was watching Dr. Phil today, about an overbearing parent who controlled every aspect of her adult child and family. It made me realize that it's not enough to just blame the parents and continue to be frustrated with them. I need to set my boundaries and take control of my own life, make my own decisions and deal with the consequences of those decisions. Sure I could point out a million ways they could change, but I need to change myself, since the only person I can change is me. It's time to venture out into the world, me and God, the parents on the sidelines urging me on and just being available for advice only when I need it.
Whew...that's my self-reflection for the day. :)
It's also a city that is smaller and slower-paced than T.O., not that I have anything against the big city that I was born and raised in. Kingston just seems to bring out (most of) the best in me, and it has captured my heart...or maybe I'm just trying to run away from the parents. :P But I feel that if I don't follow my heart this time around, I'll really regret it. Not following my heart, or maybe not finding out what my heart wanted exactly, has already caused me 6 years of grief and anxiety, confusion and self-doubt.
Strangely enough, I was watching Dr. Phil today, about an overbearing parent who controlled every aspect of her adult child and family. It made me realize that it's not enough to just blame the parents and continue to be frustrated with them. I need to set my boundaries and take control of my own life, make my own decisions and deal with the consequences of those decisions. Sure I could point out a million ways they could change, but I need to change myself, since the only person I can change is me. It's time to venture out into the world, me and God, the parents on the sidelines urging me on and just being available for advice only when I need it.
Whew...that's my self-reflection for the day. :)
